Spray Foam Insulation for Homes
Foam insulation on basement walls and attic roofs keep your house warm in winter season and cool during the summer while staying out moisture. There are different type of foam insulation and you must discover one that supplies the amount of insulation and wetness control that you require.
Foam insulation is sprayed onto walls or into hard-to-reach locations. It can be retrofitted, making it ideal for insulating existing structures and attics and basements where there might be incomplete walls or ceilings. There are 2 types of foam insulation: stiff foam and spray foam. They have various uses and a mix of the materials can insulate your home more effectively.
Sort of Insulation
1. Open-Cell Foam: The tiny cells of the foam are not completely closed however are broken. Air fills the open space inside the products, making the foam weaker or softer. Open-cell foam is porous and permits moisture to permeate. It has a lower insulating property.
2. Closed-Cell Foam: The foam cells are closed and loaded tightly together. The cells are filled with the gas that helps the foam increase and expand. Closed-cell foam is an excellent insulator. It is extremely strong and provides some degree of structural support.
- Cementitious: This is cement-based foam used as sprayed-foam or foamed-in-place insulation.
- Phenolic: Phenolic or phenol-formaldehyde foam was popular in the past as stiff foam board insulation. It has a relatively high insulating property. Its major downside is that it can reduce as much as 2 percent after curing. It is no longer as popular as before and is only available nowadays as foamed-in-place insulation.
- Polyisocyanurate: This foam insulation for attics and basements is available as liquid sprayed foam and stiff foam board. Foamed-in-place applications are less costly to set up than foam boards and carry out much better because the liquid foam molds itself to all surfaces.
- Polyurethane: This is a closed-cell foam insulation and among the very best insulating products that you can discover. Polyurethane insulation is readily available as rigid foam board and liquid sprayed foam.
There are many different sort of foam insulation for an attic or basement. A professional spray foam insulation contractor will have the ability to suggestions you on the very best sort of product to use for your home enhancement project. You will certainly have to think about the age of your house, geographical place, and your budget. Extreme climates in the region where you live will certainly ask for a higher level of insulation and you might have to deal with wetness control as well.